Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and Grits
Executive Soux Chef Wade Bruhn shows that shrimp and grits are more than just shrimp and grits. Try out his delicious take on a classic yourself. I promise you won't regret it.
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 cup finely minced shallot
- 3 tbsp. finely minced garlic
- 2 cups light stock (chicken, corn, shrimp, fish, or vegetable will work)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup stone ground yellow grits
- Sachet of thyme, tarragon, lemon peel, and bay leaf
- 4-6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh shredded cheese of choice (this recipe includes a mix of muenster, white cheddar, and gruyere)
Sweat shallots and garlic in pan over low heat before adding stock and milk, and then bring to simmer. Once simmering, whisk in yellow corn grits, add sachet, and turn heat to low. Cook on low, stirring often, until the grits have become very thick and tender to taste. Once cooked, add butter, cheese and season with salt and pepper, remove sachet before service.
Savory BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. red chile flake
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup veal glace
- 1 cup stock of choice (shrimp, vegetable, beef, fish, chicken)
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sweat shallots and garlic, deglaze with vinegar, add brown sugar, red chile flake and then remaining wet ingredients apart from the worchestershire, lemon juice, and final seasoning (salt and pepper), simmer until it coats a spoon (keep in mind the sauce will reduce in pan with shrimp also.
Season shrimp with salt, pepper, and herbs. Sear in a hot skillet with butter, flip shrimp and deglaze pan with sauce recipe, cook shrimp until coated with sauce. Spoon grits into a service piece, top with shrimp, savory bbq sauce, and garnish with pickled jalapenos (bread and butter jalapenos pictured).